Amish Coffee Cake
Some coffee cakes are served with coffee. This coffee cake has coffee in the batter.
shortening or lard
1. In a large bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, and shortening with a pastry blender until lumpy. Reserve 1 cup of this lumpy mixture and set aside.
2. Dissolve the baking soda in the hot coffee. Make sure it completely dissolves.
3. Add the baking soda/coffee to the large bowl of the brown sugar/shortening/flour mixture.
4. Add the egg and vanilla; stir. Pour this batter into a greased pan. (Batter will be lumpy.)
NOTE: A 9 x 13 pan will make a thinner cake, a 10 x 7 pan will make a thicker cake.
5. Sprinkle the reserved 1 cup of brown sugar/flours/shortening on top of the batter in the pan.
6. Bake at 325 degrees: 30-35 minutes for a 9×13 pan, or 45-50 minutes for the 10×7 pan.