Homemade Hamburger Buns: Make Your Own
The best thing to serve hamburgers on are homemade hamburger buns. Homemade hamburger buns are delicious, far more filling than store-bought buns, and are as easy to make as following the steps I’ve laid out in this post.
You can do this. 😉
Homemade Hamburger Buns
What You Need:
4 cups flour
2 pkgs yeast (or about 5 tsp. bulk yeast)
2 cups warm water (about 110 degrees)
3/4 cup melted lard (or whatever fat/oil your family uses)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
3-4 more cups flour
What To Do:
In a large bowl, combine first 4 cups of flour with the yeast. In a separate bowl combine water, melted lard, sugar, and salt.
Pour wet mixture into dry. Add three eggs (room temp is best) and mix the whole mess up with a mixer for three minutes.
Stir in 3-4 cups flour by hand. The amount takes a bit of guesswork and has a lot to do with how humid your air is. If you’re stirring and no more flour will go into the dough easily with a wooden spoon, you’re all set.
Now, turn the dough out on to a floured surface and knead. Add a bit more flour if necessary to make a lovely soft dough. You will know the dough is ready for the next step when it is just able to be kneaded without sticking to the counter or your hands.
Place in a greased bowl, cover with a clean dish towel and place in a warm place to rise for about an hour. (I usually turn my oven on to its lowest setting, 170 degrees, and let it preheat. When it’s preheated, I turn it off and then put the dough in the warm oven to rise.)
After an hour, punch the dough down and divide the dough into three parts.
Let the dough rest for 5 minutes. After it rests, you’re ready to shape the buns. Take one of the balls of dough. You’re going to divide it into 8 smaller balls of dough. (You will also separate the remaining two large balls of dough into 8 smaller balls to make a total of 24 balls of dough – which will turn into 24 homemade hamburger buns.)
Squish the ball a little bit flat between your palms and place on greased cookie sheet. Repeat until all the buns are shaped.
Place all the buns in a warm place (read: at our house, back in the warm oven) to rise for 30 more minutes. They plump right up!
Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes. Makes 24 lovely homemade hamburger buns.
Can you say yum? I can.
But it’s not polite to talk with a full mouth. 🙂
(Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Homemade Bread Cookbook.)
Homemade Hamburger Buns
Homemade hamburger buns are way more filling than what you'll find in the store!
- 4 cups flour
- 2 env. yeast, 5 tsps. bulk yeast
- 2 cups warm water, (110 degrees)
- 3/4 cup melted lard, or whatever oil your family uses
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 3 eggs
- 3-4 cups additional flour
1. In a large bowl, combine first 4 cups of flour with the yeast. (If you are not using instant yeast, you will have to add the yeast to the warm water and let it sit for a bit before adding it to this flour.)
2. In a separate bowl combine water, melted lard, sugar, and salt.
3. Pour wet mixture into dry. Add three eggs (room temp is best) and mix with a mixer for three minutes.
4. Stir in 3-4 cups flour by hand.
5. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes, adding more flour if necessary.
6. Place in a greased bowl, cover with a clean dish towel and place in a warm place to rise for about an hour.
7. After an hour, punch the dough down and divide the dough into three parts. Let all dough rest for 5 minutes.
8. Divide all three balls of dough into 8 smaller balls of dough; shape into buns.
9. Squish each bun a little bit flat between your palms and place on greased cookie sheet. Let rise in a warm place another 30 minutes.
10. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.
Try my Honey Wheat Bread Recipe! It’s great for sandwiches. You can also try your hand at homemade bread bowls or fancy One Rise Baguette.